Friday, August 21, 2009

The Last Days of Summer Break

Our summer vacation days are numbered so we are filling them up with as much fun as possible!

My Mama Mentor Janna has so many ideas for keeping busy girls entertained. She suggested this one for me. We got a bucket of soapy water and old scrub brushes and Clementine and I scrubbed down her playhouse. She loved it! Thanks Janna!


******
Here are my enormous sunflowers. They are about 7 feet tall now and still don't have their faces!!



Here is what they do have; weird spiky face starts. You can tell they want to turn yellow and cheery but right now they are still gangly and awkward. This must be their teenage phase.


And here is what we pulled off the vine the other day. A bunch of cherry tomatoes and four beefy tomatoes. Only one pepper this year! Weird. The squash and the pumpkins are growing but will need more time.
Something strange is happening to my beefy tomatoes. They are mostly liquid inside and I don't know why! My little cherry tomatoes are fine but the beefy ones are just mush--even though their skin is unblemished!
Does anyone know why this is happening???


******
We took a quick trip this week to our favorite spot in Whatcom Co. Hovander Park! I love this place!
Clem was sitting on the fence calling to the cows (which she calls "cooos") that were way off in the distance. I love pictures of her on fences!

We love Hovander because of the animals, of course, but there is so much for a busy almost-2 year old to do! There are plenty of wide open spaces to explore, old equipment to inspect and excellent portrait potential. This one isn't the great portrait, but I love her hair in this one! Isn't it getting so long!?? It's very exciting for me.


Gobbling with the turkeys

And the required bench hopping

******
I am pretty sure Clementine is the messiest eater in the world. Learning to self feed means we go through a lot of rags, shirts and stain treater with this one. She is learning to get more self control with her eating utensils and drinking from a big girl cup--but push pops really are a little more difficult to master.
















No comments: