Monday, August 13, 2012

Pt. Defiance v. 2.0

 I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pt. Defiance is the best zoo around. We were there last fall (remember?) but I swear it's gotten even better since then.

 On this visit, there were little climb on things for the wee ones.
 I didn't get to take many pictures at the zoo because the babes had figured out how to divide on conquer. One would go his own way while the other, of course, went in the completely opposite direction. Pretty much the whole zoo trip was barely contained chaos. The kids loved it, naturally.

 It was a pretty hot day so a lot of the animals had gone indoors or were chilling in the shade. We sort of got to see an elephant's back and ear (above) and totally got to see two monkeys of some kind hanging in the hammock.
What I wish I had gotten a picture of: our lunch fiasco.  We sat down in the picnic area to eat and Dutch decided he would also like to participate. I nursed him under a blanket while everyone was eating. A few minutes later, a free roaming peacock came to check out our snacks. The babes loved it, throwing the bird cranberries, crackers, carrots and raisins. The peacock gobbled those up while roaming the whole picnic area looking for other spilled food.
Within seconds of each other, Dutch peed all over my lap and Clementine had a complete nervous breakdown and tried to run away because the peacock had come back unnoticed and attempted to eat her sandwich. She was certain that the peacock was trying to eat her arm.
Trying to shoo a peacock, calm a preschooler and clean my lap at the same time pretty much sums up the day.
We saw a few more critters after that, then called it a day a bit early and came home for naps.

No comments: