I wish things had gone differently with Daisy. We were all optimistic. We don't take pet ownership lightly.
Daisy is a hound dog. She is a slave to her nose. She has hunter's instincts. She wanted to be alpha. Jack's face was wounded. Penny was chased across our bed at 2:30 AM (which was the last straw for Cam). A dirty diaper was shredded and partially eaten, our garbage gone through (yes, it was tied in plastic and locked under the cabinet as recommended). Our blinds will never look the same and our carpet was destroyed.
Last week I drove Daisy back to Spokane and gave her back to the shelter. The whole six hour drive there I second guessed our decision. I almost turned back in Ellensburg.
Thankfully, the owner of the shelter was very understanding.
We are done looking for a second dog. Daisy gave us new appreciation for Jack (even CAM appreciates Jack a little more!!!!).
Two positive things have come from this: on the way there and back (in one day!) I listened to the book The Help on CD. Hands down my new favorite. Seriously, everyone should read this book. So well written I've had dreams about the characters as if they are my personal friends. Secondly, because the carpet was destroyed in the dining room, we were pushed into starting a project we'd been putting off: tearing out carpet and laying down laminate. Our laminate has been "acclimating" and is ready when we are.
Our summer will be focused on a very different project than we had planned. I'm really looking forward to having new floors. Pictures to come soon!
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh, I should have warned you! Maybe you remember our horror stories about our Daisy. She's a hound dog (beagle) too. She shredded both couches, 3 sets of blinds, 2 hot tubs covers, tore up plants, and so on. Luckily after 5 years, she is now tame, although she still is slave to her nose and runs away a lot.
Sorry things didn't work out, she sure was cute!
Post a Comment