Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Leavenworth (anniversary trip)

 This summer, I am trying out this new thing I've heard of called "spontaneity." (no i'm not) It's hard for me to let things go, I like to plan, plan, plan--usually driving myself and my adoring husband nuts. So, when we decided to go away for a little jaunt to Leavenworth, I had to really resist my natural instincts to plan every  minute of the trip. If I do say so myself, I did pretty damn well!

 We hit the road on Saturday morning with a picnic basket and all our gear for the four of us. (Typically, the planning would begin here, I would have already picked a destination to stop and picnic, but NAY, I resisted). We stopped when we got hungry (!!) in a little town called Skykomish. By little, I mean teensy. We saw two stores and a gas station in this town. But they had the perfect picnic bench for this family. Clem was excited because the day before, at the grocery store, I had let her pick out a treat for our picnic. She chose Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle snack treats. She is gushing in both of the above pictures.
 This was Dutchy's first picnic. It was pretty exciting. Only, this boy was less interested in eating and more so in stretching out his chubby little legs.




 Skykomish was warm, sunny and lovely and when it was time to hit the road, Dutch hitched a ride on Daddy's shoulders.
 We drove the rest of the way to Leavenworth where I had read about the Nutcracker museum and souvenir shop. We parked and hit up the shop because our girl LOVES Nutcrackers (you probably recall that Clem has asked Santa Claus for a nutcracker every Christmas). We bought not a thing, but had a blast looking around at all the crazy nutcrackers.

 Down the way, we got ice cream (except Dutch, who is not amused).

It was VERY hot and VERY crowded in downtown Leavenworth at midday so we decided to go check out the house we had rented for the weekend. Boy, did we hit the jackpot on this one. We rented a house in the middle of a pear orchard just a few miles out of Leavenworth. It was pretty much paradise. Cam was happy because there was A/C in the house, I was happy because it was baby proof and Clem was happy because it had cable.
 Seriously, this was our view. We rented a two bedroom house that came with a full kitchen a BBQ and we were totally immersed in pear country. It was incredible.

 Later that night, we headed back into Leavenworth to check out the public pool. Clem loved it as it was just the right depth for her and had a waterslide just her size!! Dutch even got in on the action and LOVED it!

 The next morning we got up and got ready to check out. Check out was at 10:00 and I was truly sad to have to leave this place. We loved it. Seriously. This was our view out of our bedroom windows. Pear trees as far as we could see!

 Before hitting the road, we hit up the petting zoo where each of us took turns feeding llamas! It was so much fun. At this point in the vacation my camera died BUT imagine this picture with goats, cows, rabbit, etc. in place of the llama.
We had an absolute plan free, great time. I think I could get used to this "let it happen naturally" thing (no i can't).

No comments: