Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Kindergarten (OMG!) Open House (sob!)

(Clem is suddenly a shoe-lace tying machine!)
 There are no words to describe how lucky I feel to have this little girl of mine coming to MY school for Kindergarten in the fall. Lunch dates with my sweet girl?? Yes, please! Only one drop off in the morning? Sign me up! Some amazing teachers ready to stuff this kid's head full of ideas, problem solving, music and friends? It doesn't get any better than this.
 Last week, my school held Open House for new Kindergarten students. Clementine started a countdown several days in advance. Every  morning she confirmed the number of days left until Open House and frequently she asked questions like "Will I learn to read at Open House? Will Emmy (her friend from preschool) be there? Are you going to be my teacher?"
The four awesome Kindergarten teachers had set up centers for the students to play and use, then the principal (my boss) gave a little welcome and the teachers (my friends!) gave a little PowerPoint presentation. Cam came in at this point and we sat at the back, where I beamed like a crazy person.  Seriously, have I mentioned the luckiness???? I die!
 The students each got a folder and a backpack with our school name (Clem is wearing her's wrong side out, of course) plus some helpful hints for parents and some practice/games to do at home.
When it was all over with, Clem said "Mom! Ask my teacher for HOMEWORK!!" I was feeling quite proud of myself for NOT crying during Open House and am hoping this is a good omen for the first real day of Kindergarten.

No comments: