When we moved into our house, we soon realized that yard work hadn't been a big priority for quite some time.
Our back yard was over run with weeds and grass. All along one side we had what we called Jurassic Park weeds; weeds that looked like they had been there for centuries and had mutated into behemoths. Some of them had roots as thick as my salt shaker! It was treacherous out there.
But in the last week, we have cleared out most of the unsightly weeds and have started putting in our own gems.
Here is the sunniest side of the house: my vegetable garden!!

Look at these beautiful tomato plants!

This is our front porch. But you see this green bench? It was discovered in the backyard nearly covered by weeds. It works out perfectly on the porch holding my watering pot and geraniums.

This was the worst area of them all. I cleared out two totally full garbage bags worth of weeds from here this week. Now look at it! (I planted a lilac here today--and see where the cinder blocks are? That's where my composter is going to go.) This side of the house is opposite my vegetable garden--the shadiest part of the yard.

I planted this beautiful hydrangea last week and it's already growing like crazy and starting to produce color!!!

Can you see the little brocolli growing? I squealed with delight when I first saw it growing there! It's not quite ready to eat but you can tell what it is!!!

This spot in the yard was sort of a conundrum. So I threw in an entire packet of sunflower seeds thinking a few would take root. I now have 31 sunflower starts in this corner and 5-10 more in another corner! We're going to be drowning in sunflowers this summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment