Monday, May 4, 2009

Always an Adventure

We don't do things the easy way in this house. Everyday is an adventure for all three of us as we stumble our way through each new experience.

Every morning is pretty hectic as the three of us try to leave by 7:45 am each day. Gone are the days when I had literally sweat my make-up off by 7:30 in an effort to make lunches, locate shoes, change diaper (which always seemed to become magically full again just as we were walking out the door), find cell phone, etc. We seemed to have hit our stride, each of us our own tasks to do and 7:45 had started to seem easy.

Until this morning....the routine morning went just as planned. We were actually a smidge early for once! Cam and Clementine were walking to the car as I locked the handle on our front door and closed it. My hand may have been off the knob for just under a millisecond when Cam said "I don't have the keys."
I didn't have them either.
And my coat was in the car.
So was Clementine's coat.

Did I mention it was raining?

Luckily our neighbor was home. She lent us a baby girl coat sized Clementine and a phone book to call a locksmith. While Cam made the call, Clementine discovered the neighborhood cats laying in the middle of the road. Why, oh why, couldn't they be in a yard? Clementine would not take "We don't play in the road with strange cats" for an answer. So she proceeding to have a major temper tantrum on the sidewalk. She dramatically rolled around in the cold wet pavement as I shouted "CAM! Tell the Locksmith to HURRY!" (My favorite part of the morning had to be when the folks across the street left for work and were witnesses to Clementine rolling on the ground, screaming bloody murder. The neighbors seemed to get a real kick out of this as they drove past us, waving and laughing.)

The three of us waited for the Locksmith on our front porch. We pulled out all of our distract-the-baby tricks: cell phone, apple, peekaboo. It took the locksmith nearly 45 minutes to get to our house and less than a minute to open our door.

Good times.

No comments: