Saturday, June 20, 2015

Holy Berries!

 Last weekend, I had a crazy hankering for fresh strawberry short cake. We found out that our favorite (and top secret) u-pick berry spot was also nearly done with their strawberry season, so off we went, with Jim and Cathy in tow, too!
 There were beautiful berries as far as the eye could see and it didn't take long to fill up FOUR of our buckets!
 If you know Dutchy, then you know how much-y he can be. As soon as his feet touch the ground, this kid takes off. Cam and I devised a Dutchy containment plan: Cam would be at one end of a row and I would pick at another. Dutch could be between us and do his thing. For a while this worked and boy, did we feel clever. And then we were out-clevered when Dutch found a break in the row and he took off, running away so fast that he lost one of his sandals along his escape route.
 A search party quickly spread out through the fields and the lost sandal was found.
(Side story--whenever we drive through farm land-which around he is pretty much everyday-I gawk at the neat rows of beautiful crops. The symmetry gets to me and feels me with joy. When I expressed this to Cameron, he said "You love it because the lines of crops are like nature's excel spreadsheets." What I'm saying is: this man GETS me.)

We went home that night with MORE than enough berries for shortcake. We ended up with 10 pounds of berries! I made shortcake, gave a big bunch to Cathy and Jim to take home, made a big batch of jam AND we STILL have berries in the freezer.

No comments: