Thursday, June 19, 2014

Fearless

 
Once upon a time, our girl was fearless. She explored and raced, jumped from tall rocks and stairs. Then she discovered small wounds and became QUITE a rule follower. So much so, that, for a time, we worried about her very little, knowing that if she knew the rule, it was being followed precisely.
 
This little bundle of kindergarten enthusiasm fell off of this playground toy called the Spinner (of doom) out at recess. She came in howling, the same way she does when she scrapes a knee or gets a paper cut or loses a tooth. That morning, I got several phone calls from my friends in the building--Clem's hurt in the nurse's station. And, because she is such a rule follower, I assumed it was something quite small, taking my time to get to her downstairs.
 
But as soon as I got there I saw her arm hanging in a way that defies everything I know about human anatomy. And off we went--paramedics, ER, Children's Hospital. There was surgery and fear but excellent care and a plan. And she did it.

The worst part, she says, was getting an IV stuck in her arm. And she told her doctor's this (several times). Before we left Children's Hospital, the nurse talked to Clem about the reason for the IV and gave  her a little take home kit where Clem could play doctor and needed to set up an IV in her dog and her doll. It helped with that fear and anxiety in a big big way.
 She recovered at home, loving the extra movie time and getting to sleep in my bed. Her class wrote her notes and drew her pictures that she will treasure forever (My favorite: "Dear Clem, I never go on the spinner either. It makes me feel like barfing. Feel better soon! Love A.") And after awhile she was able to go back to school as long as she was being careful (and no recesses!)


This girl's bone had healed so nicely that after just 3 weeks, she got to go back to an almost regular life--no more casts and splints! She misses the cast and she still isn't allowed to play on the playground. She's more cautious than ever but I have a feeling that Fearlessness will be back.

No comments: