Friday, March 7, 2014

she's distinct all right...

 Clementine was her kindergarten class' Student of Distinction for February. She was crazy excited, although you can't quite tell from these pics. Trust me.
 Each month, teachers choose a student to nominate as one who stands apart either because of progress and hard work or something like being a good friend and helping others.
Clem has gone with me to all the other months' ceremonies (she mostly goes for the cookies afterward) and has celebrated her friends and classmates.

When she was nominated she was thrilled. I wondered what she would think about standing up in front of all those people. The answer was simple: she didn't think about it at all. She didn't bat an eyelash, she did her thing. When the other kids' names were called and the paragraph read about them, she clapped politely. Her own name was called near the end and Cam cheered loudly for his favorite girl. Everyone laughed and she gave him a "be cool," wave.

(Unfortunately as her name was called I was trying to figure out this new camera and missed the paragraph her teacher submitted about her. I know it ended with "She makes our classroom a happier place.")
 Then everyone was escorted over to the risers for a group pic.
 Clem's good buddy came over and gave her a big hug.
What I love so so much about these two group pictures is Clementine's happiness, of course. But also looking at this crowd and seeing students of every color and every ability. I love the diversity of our school.

No comments: